Data and privacy
PAfID collects two categories of data, pseudonymized and personal.
Pseudonymized data is data that has been stripped of any identifying information so that it cannot be tied to individuals. Examples would be the browser you are using and the operating system on your device. We use such data to improve your experience as a visitor to our website and to fix technical problems on specific systems.
Personal data is data that relates to you as an individual. We collect this type of data when you enter your e-mail address, your postal address, your name, or your payment details in order to donate or to subscribe to our newsletters. We use such data to process your donation(s) and/or subscription(s). Certain personal info is also needed in order to make your donation(s) tax deductible. We operate a strict policy in order to keep your personal data safe and private.
PAfID will not collect your personal data unless you choose to give it to us. Your data will be automatically deleted within the legally mandated time-span after you have ceased interacting with us. You can also request deletion of your data at any time by contacting us.
How we use your data
- The data you communicate to us enables us to ensure accurate and correct processing of your donation.
- If you give us your express permission, we will email you with news and information about our work. You can revoke your permission at any time through the unsubscribe link at the bottom of every issue.
- We use pseudonymized data of our website visitors in order to better understand your needs, interests, and technical setup so we can adapt our website accordingly.
- PAfID will not share your data with third parties in any way unless it is necessary to complete your donation process. We make sure that in such cases, your data is automatically cleared by external service providers within the legally mandated timespan after you complete your interaction with us.
How we collect your data
We will collect your personal data whenever you
- make a donation
- subscribe to one of our newsletters
- complete a questionnaire or
- sign up to a campaign
PAfID and its service providers use the secure server software to encrypt any financial information you send when you donate.
Server log files
- Our website server automatically gathers user information in server log files. This is done in order to enable us to react appropriately to cyber attacks. The following information is collected:
- browser and OS
- date and time of access
- used protocol and port
None of these pieces of information are linked to you as an individual. We will only ever merge the data contained in our server log files when there is a reasonable ground for suspecting a hacking attempt or other breaches of the law.
To more about your personal data and data processing standards, please contact us with any request regarding data security or privacy at PAfID.
On the websites of PAfID and its associated organizations, we inform about current vacancies. Should you decide to apply for an opening or send us an application on your own initiative via our online application tool, we have to process the personal data submitted by you in the course of your application in order to be able to review your application (Art. 6 para. 1 lit b General Data Protection Regulation).
- Data and Privacy for Online Applications
External service providers
Micropayment and Swipe
As part of the payment process for your donation via credit card, the following data are processed and stored by us:
transaction details (such as usage data, amount, etc.)
- IP address
- number of credit card
- name of the credit card holder
- type of card
- address data (street, house number, place of residence, postal code), facultative
- email-address, facultative
- mobile or phone number, facultative
Your data will be stored for the legal retention period, then deleted.
For technical processing of credit card payments, we need to pass donor data submitted through our donation form on to our service providers
- Micropayment GmbH, Scharnweberstraße 69, 12587 Berlin
- Swipe, 185 Berry Street, Suite 550, San Francisco, CA 94107, USA
Information on data protection at Micropayment GmbH can be found here.
How long we retain your data
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
What rights you have over your data
If you have an account on this site, or have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
Where your data is sent
Visitor comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service.